7.02.2016

Hats

I'm not sure I look good in hats, but I like them anyhow. I bought one out of necessity (well, it is very pretty too) when I first visited Australia and realised that you really need a hat there to shield you from the sunshine. It's made of straw and my friend Kerry made the decorations when she was the owner of the Eumundi Country Garden shop. I'm sure you can buy similar ones at the Eumundi Markets.

The next hat was made in Australia although bought in Stockholm when I was living there. This Helen Kaminski hat is warm and soft and made of wool. A really neat thing about it is that you can fold it and put it in the arm of your coat, making sure it doesn't get lost.

I bought a third hat from the hatter Maria Leijonberg in Gothenburg when she still had the shop "Prickig Katt" (The Spotted Cat). Not to everyone's taste, but I think it's a nice, grey spring hat that goes really well with my coats.
A couple of years ago, my Mother and I visited Visingsö. I acquired a blue summer hat there made of thin denim that I decorated with small satin rose buds. Now I wear it all summer, since my hairdresser tells me to stay out of the sun unless I want my white hair to turn yellow.

During a lifetime, we wear different hats. We play different roles, sometimes almost simultaneously. Occasionally we deliberately put on a hat in order to change perspectives. In innovation and entrepreneurship this has been formalised into a very useful exercise: The Six Thinking Hats.

If you are designated the White Hat, you focus on demanding the facts. The Yellow Hat expresses optimism and probes for value and benefit. The devil's advocate is found under The Black Hat whereas wearing the Red Hat requires you to express emotions and feelings. When you wear the Green Hat you focus on possibilities and new ideas and the Blue Hat is responsible for managing the whole thinking process.

I'd like to try this exercise sometime, since I think it makes lots of sense. It makes visible the different modes you need to apply in innovation and business development processes, and also makes you appreciate other's perspectives and traits.

Although strictly speaking not involving a real hat, the Cap Table is another useful exercise when it comes to start-ups. The purpose is to keep track of who owns what including shareholders, option holders, convertible notes and option pools.

I have caps too.

No comments: