5.26.2007

Metaphor Favourites: The Girl and the Crow

A man sits at his table, reading the newspaper. He then sees a photo of a girl, desperately running with a wounded crow in her hands. The girl is tiny, her blond hair is flapping, her eyes bright, running on her thin legs for all she is worth. The crow is croaking black, clumsy and dying. Suddenly the man starts to shiver and shake in agony, since he realises that he is like the girl. In her he recognises his own frantic search for help, for someone who can take care of the dying hope that he carries. Looking for safety and warmth, for someone to tell him that everything will be alright. Running, although in his heart he knows it’s too late.

This is the story told by Mikael Wiehe in his song “Flickan och krĂ„kan” (The girl and the crow), and it’s one of my favourite metaphors for several reasons. First of all I see myself in both the man and the girl. I also carry hope that is sometimes fragile, and when I was a child I was often on animal rescue missions. The lyrics are also very beautifully composed, with strong, vivid words. The contrast between light and darkness, hope and fear, becomes very clear. I also like the combination of music, lyrics and a picture, because it illustrates how metaphors can take on different formats and involve various senses. The music if also very suggestive, with a beat that makes you feel every running step the girl takes. Mikael Wiehe is also famous for writing political songs, why the piece is also a good example of how to use metaphors for conveying important messages. Although the song ends sadly, for me it creates a spark, an urge to keep on running, looking for support and answers. I think that is also the purpose of the song, given the nature of the composer.

If you want to read about the making of the song and the lyrics, take a look at http://www.mikaelwiehe.se/komment_flickanokrakan.htm (in Swedish).

Right now I’m on a quest for learning more about metaphors, storytelling and the use of new information technology like blogging. As a part of that quest, I have created this blog as a means for reflection and communication.

No comments: